Michael Chu’di Ejekam On Real Estate
Michael Chu’di Ejekam knows real estate, especially commercial real estate in the retail sector. Over the years, he has had the pleasure of working on many development projects that have benefitted people in the United States, as well as throughout West Africa. These development projects have not only stimulated the local economies, but also highlight how the “retail revolution” has impacted consumers and changed the way people expect to experience a shopping experience to be.
Michael Chu’di Ejekam: Innovative Ideas and In-Depth Knowledge
As an honors graduate of the prestigious Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania, Mr. Ejekam has a firm background in the industry. His Ivy League education has helped him throughout his career. First, while working as a Wall Street investment banker at Merrill lynch, and then later, while working for an American private real estate investment and development firm with interests in $2 billion of real estate assets. These experiences combined made him the ideal choice as the Director Real Estate for West Africa for Actis. For seven years, he served the $7.5 billion private equity firm, while it was the most active retail developer in sub-Saharan Africa. He provided the company with the necessary insights on demographics, potential challenges, and factors of success, enabling the company to take part in the creation of Lagos, Nigeria’s first certified green commercial building and several retail shopping malls throughout the region. Overall, he originated more than $700 million in retail projects with the firm, including Ikeja City Mall Lagos, Jabi Lake Mall Abuja, and Accra Mall, among others. The expansive list contains the largest retail malls in all of Ghana, Nigeria, and broader West Africa.
Michael Chu’di Ejekam as a Leading Expert in the Industry
These successes have put Mr. Ejekam in high demand with the media when they need to gain insight into a trend or the real estate market. He’s commonly interviewed by journalists and is also consulted by some of the industry’s most notable agencies and firms. His expertise spans the whole breadth of real estate, though commercial real estate in the retail sector is certainly his strong suit and passion. Moreover, he has a proven track record of full cycle retail investment and development. This includes site origination, equity investment, planning approvals, development management, tenant leasing, asset management and exit strategies.
Real Estate Info From Michael Chu’di Ejekam
This site is slated to be a hub of information for all things related to the global real estate market, from the United States to Nigeria, and everywhere in between. You’ll be able to find news, stories, statistics, and general info here, as well as special insights from Michael Chu’di Ejekam, himself. To make sure you never miss a post, be sure to bookmark this site and check back often for the latest updates.
Michael Ejekam — Career Highlights
For 7+ years Director Real Estate for W Africa for Actis, a $7.5bn private equity firm- most active retail developer in Sub-Saharan Africa (ex SA). Originated $700+m in retail projects. Retail projects include $100m Ikeja City Mall Lagos, $130m Jabi Lake Mall Abuja and Accra Mall. Other projects include Heritage Place, Nigeria’s first green certified commercial building. Originated three upcoming Nigeria malls ranging from $150-185m each totaling over 40,000m2 each, which would be largest in the region. Co-led exit of Ikeja City Mall.
- Proven track record of full cycle retail investment and development: site origination, equity investment, planning approvals, development management, tenant leasing, asset management and exit of the largest retail malls in Nigeria, Ghana, and broader W. Africa.
- Directed Actis’ W Africa retail strategy, research, rollout. Strong insight about retail challenges, success factors, demographic data.
- Leading role in the “retail revolution”, widely quoted retail thought leader, strong local business and government relationships.
- Prior experience includes a USA private real estate investment and development firm with interests in $2bn of real estate assets. Originated $350m development Trump SoHo, led bid for $750m asset.
- Previously Wall Street investment banker at Merrill lynch in NYC: participated in $3bn of acquisition/LBO financings, IPOs, leverage loans.
- Wall Street transaction experience includes $500m financing for telecom firm and $325m simultaneous High Yield Debt/IPO for oil & gas company. Other Wall Street experience includes $450m Crown American REIT, largest transaction of its type at the time.
Currently on board of Gruppo Nigeria Limited, owner of Ikeja City Mall (joint venture btw Hyprop a South African publicly listed REIT and Atterbury). Also on board of Afrinvest Securities, a broker dealer.